Surface Design

 Guess I could stretch it and say I do Surface Design. But I think of surface designer as artists with lots of tools, surrounded by dye pots, wax, resists, clamps, ropes, poles. brushes, spoons, vats, potions, all kinds of liquids. Most surface designers love to explore chemical or natural dyes. It's a risky thing that may pay off . . . or not. They are gamblers.


I know enough about dying to stay away from it. Most dyes are toxic and must be handled with care, safety is number one! Even natural dyes can carry some toxic elements and should be used with care. I took a class in discharge once using thiox. We did the class outside under tents using respirators. Just a whiff of the stuff could give you a sore throat for the rest of the day. I was glad I did it and I still have pieces of cloth I discharged and use but I am not going to invest in thiox any time soon.  


I have respect for the artists who are intrigued by creating patterns and color on cloth. They have made commercial cloth manufacturers step up their game which has benefitted all of us. Support your local surface design artists, take a class from them or buy their product. Get to really know them and they may part with their really good pieces. Just saying.


Student work in Betty Busby's surface design class at QSDS.

Comments

Popular Posts