Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Details and a USO Followup

  Here is the promised detail shot of Through The Mirror Darkly. I added stitching around the gentleman and around the mirror frame. 
Now I have some photoshop work to do on a new scan that will be four figures and be quite large, at least 84 inches long. I will be looking to output this commercially since I only have access to a n 8.5 x 11 inkjet printer and I will need about 10 to 12, 11 x 17 pages to put the new one piece together.

 And a use for USOs? Here are a few pages from one of my stitch books where the USOs landed. I make these from odd scraps that I like to loosely stitch and then make into a book. There you guys are among the first to see these except for a few close friends. Click to enlarge and see the details. 
Now the questions is, will the weather be good enough to mow tomorrow? Some of my grass is 4 to 5 inches long. It's a 2 and half hour long job.

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Finishing It Off

  I found some bits of painted lace which I added around the mirror. Also had some "homepun" type fabrics that became "patches". Glued down the xerox photo with gel medium. This is actually four 11 x 17 pieces of paper.

I decided to square it up a bit, it just wanted to be squarer. What can I say. I also stitched around the mirror part and around the man. For some reason it kept breaking the thread, I guess it was a bit tougher than I thought which is funny because I can stitch through the built up areas where I used modeling paste with ease. Next post I will give you a close up with some of the stitching. I titled it Through The Mirror Darkly. Finished size 35" H x 29" w.

Sunday, September 20, 2009

And the bead goes on

  Sorry but I couldn't get the title to this post out of my head. And the bead does go on and on. This is a piece that is fun to pet. And when you turn it over to tie off a thread it makes the most satisfying clatter as the beads hit a hard surface. It still needs more beads and stitching but it is a lot closer to being finished. Then I will have to figure out what frames it.

Friday, September 18, 2009

Following Up

  This is the canvas with  a coat of  white paint, gel medium and water. Previously I had painted it with patches of coal tar gel, and gel medium which I scribble on through a nozzle bottle.

 Added a coat of paint to the sides over the dried modeling paste stencils. There is a piece of the painted tissue paper on the left side, not sure I am going to use the paper. Perhaps some but there maybe some lace and other fabric pieces added to the side. And some paint sticks on the stencils. I placed the image and painted tulle on top to see how it will look together. I think this will be a companion piece to Edith Ann for sure.
Stayed tuned. More work coming.