What Makes A Quilter?

 I am NOT a quilter. I make quilts because my art is 3 layers and stitched together. But an honest crafts technician of a quilter? Not me.


I have a friend who is a quilter. She can take cloth, cut it into properly sized pieces, sew it accurately to other pieces and come up with meticulously joined together art. She knows how to pick patterns (she can even draft her own patterns!!!), pick wonderful patterned and colored cloth and make them into works of art.


I stand in awe. It's beyond my technical skills. I guess I could learn but I haven't the interest. I kind of cheat my way into quilt patterns if I need them. 


Double wedding ring? Love it but not going to happen on my watch. Maybe in the next life.


That being said, here is an example of my kind of patchwork. I did strips of cloth sewn together, trimmed and sewn to other strips of cloth and when it was all stitched together and large enough I cut the horse out of it. Then stitched it on top of the background. Pretty wasteful of cloth but it got the job done.

This pice is titled American Dream. It's every red blooded woman's dream to ride a horse!

Comments

Popular Posts