Inspiration wall

Along one side of my design wall is a bunch of random bits of art, experiments, newspaper clippings, etc. Remnants from past projects, explorations for new projects. Every once in awhile I will decide to take it all down and start again. Never a good idea, the blank space is a little depressing. It's better to rearrange and "fluff" it a little. Note the little red bird on yellow is my prized Ginny Smith piece. The hanging yarns on the right are from a Khipu workshop held at Cleveland Museum of Art. The 2 green woven pieces are a bit of hand weaving done as an experiment. The horse on the bottom left is the start of a large piece I plan to do this summer. The gold piece is some trial embroidery.

I had to do some googling of addresses for work and found a site that listed addresses, names, careers and phone numbers. I googled my address and discovered that I am listed as a craftsperson! I consider myself an artist but after thinking about it I think that the word craftsperson is a high compliment. A lot of people feel the urge to call themselves artists but how many of us think that we are skilled enough at what we do to be called a craftsman. I struggle to keep refining my work to be the highest quality. Through working with the museum I have realized what it takes to have your work in a museum, fine art, yes, career, yes, quality, yes, it's always being on the reach for the next level.

I'm not sure how I got off on that tangent but here is a contemplation of a piece I would like to do for TAA's member show this September. TAA is the recipient of a lot of deaccessioned CMA textile pieces, we auction them off at our member luncheon and sometimes we sell to members for $10 with the provision that you make a new piece with or inspired by the textile for the member show. Here is an 19th century top with embroidery that I bought at a luncheon. I am contemplating making into a new piece. I had to try it on. I am sure that this is a remnant  of a top that had sleeves and a skirt of some kind. At this point it is a lot of lovely hand embroidery on a linen body. Hmmmmm, how to show off the embroidery!

Comments

Popular Posts