Dad


Being that it is Fathers Day, here is a photo of my dad as a young adult. I'd say it is the perfect dad photo, he's young with his whole life ahead of him. My dad did not have an easy life, he was in high school during the depression and once he told of us using cardboard in his shoes to mend a hole in the sole. When it rained you had to get new cardboard. No new shoes in sight. When my dad was very young his dad was in WWI, so I don't think he knew his dad very well. When he was seven his dad left. My dad never saw him again. A single mom was not real common in that day and age.

My dad survived, married my mom and raised six kids.
Because he was a hard worker, a good salesman (he won my mom over despite her friends objections) and a creative engineer of the basic sort, he always had a good job . He ran tool manufacturing companies.
He raised us to be responsible hard workers and dog lovers.
He died 20 years before my mother. After my mothers funeral the funeral director came up to me and informed me that my dad's headstone had been on my mothers plot for 20 years. I think the director was afraid I would be upset. No, it was typical of my dad to keep my mother's space warm, I assured him.
Oh yes, my dad had a great sense of humor! Which I assume he passed on to us also. Well, I think I got it and probably my independent and creative ways too.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts