A New Look

I used to put together magazines for Meister Publishing, titles like, Agri-Consultant, Fruit Grower, Vegetable Grower etc. The owner would frequently decide to freshen the magazine with new graphics, fonts, etc. Exciting, fun times back in the day (1970s).

So it was time to freshen this old blog. I am sure there will be more tweaking. Enjoy!

Accordingly I have been thinking about my artwork. I have gone through lots of styles since I discovered Art Quilts in 2001. I have taken lots of classes at Quilt Surface Design Symposium (QSDS).

Fran Skiles' class was eye opening, I wanted to incorporate old photos and now I had a way. I loved painting the canvas backgrounds but after the paint they were too stiff to stitch and hard to control in the machine if I DID get them near the needle! The biggest quilt of this series was a 7' tall piece with 27 11 x 17" xeroxes, it was huge, I have seen hung twice, once on my garage and once in a show.

I discovered Spoonflower and have been able to get large prints and with the addition of a large sewing machine, the Sweet Sixteen, I have been working away at improving my stitching, adding color and content through the stitching.

But now I am ready to add more so I have thinking about the fun of painting again. This is my first stage of the first attempt. I printed out a photo of my brother Mickey and added him to a painted background and added more paint on the print. I plan to photograph this, do any tweaking in photoshop and have it printed at Spoonflower. Stitching will commence when it is returned.

Wish me luck! And stay tuned.

Comments

Popular Posts