Reworking Winter


 Winter of '38 was done in 2019. It is a photo of my maternal grandmother Barbara Gilgenbach taken in the 30's. In the background is the summer kitchen. The house burnt to the ground when my mother was in high school. The summer kitchen was dragged from the inferno and saved.  The family lived in the summer kitchen until a new house was built. I can't imagine a family of nine kids, 2 parents and possibly their grandfather in a. one room building. I suspect there was camping out on the floor. 6 girls and 3 boys. Hard to imagine but at least they had a roof over their heads.


I liked the piece . I added "snow" balls of old pieces of a blue and white quilt with circular quilting stitches in white. It's kind of a quiet piece.




After my last piece titled Army where I got into embroidering my dad I got the thought of embroidering a larger figure and came upon this when I unloaded my cedar chest of past quilts. Hmmmm?!


Perfect! I love her face and the bucket. It almost has a Madonna feel to it. I think I have a Madonna piece in my future.



Stay tuned. Lots of thread and stitching ahead.

Comments

Popular Posts